Thursday, April 16, 2009

Mrs. Burgess' class

















Gee’s Bend is on a curve southwest of Selma, Alabama on the Alabama River. It used to be full of cotton plantations where slaves worked hard till the crack of dawn and till their bones ached at dusk. Joseph Gee and relative Mark Pettway bought Gee in 1850. The ladies tore worn out cloths or material they couldn't use and sewed them into a quilt. Later on they made money off of their quilts and some of the quilts got into museums.
Jamie F.

I liked learning to sew because I did not know anything about it. I liked learning about the people who were slaves and how the famous art collector came by and found their quilts and helped them.
Allison S.

I liked learning about sewing because I thought it was cool that you could make a design with fabric. I also think it is very fun.
Garrett D.

Quilting is sewing either done by hand or a sewing machine. It can be done with a straight or running stitch. I liked learning how to quilt because I might need to sew or quilt someday in my later life. I might make it a hobby in my free time. I also like it because it is so much fun.
Jill D.

Quilting is a process that uses a needle to sew pieces of fabric together. I liked learning how to sew because when you get the hang of it, you get faster at it and learn different ways to sew. It was so much fun to learn a new experience. You will love it.
Olivia B.

What I liked about learning to quilt and sew is the way that you put little pieces of your past in the quilt so you have a reminder of your past life. I think quilting is away to relive yourself of your problems by putting your problems and putting your past in your quilt.
Riley D.

I loved the feeling of the new fabric, the smooth feeling of your hand flying through the fabric. I love how I know that finally I can sew things for my family!!!! Thank you for teaching us how to sew!!!!! Quilting is a method that can be done by hand, a machine or a longarm method. You use a needle and thread and weave in and out of material of your choice. Many people use old clothes or towels. Each quilt is unique in their own way!!!
Jodi K.

The people of Gee's Bend were very poor so they made quilts out of potato sacks, old blankets and clothes. They sewed in stripes and in lines. Gees Bend is in North Quad, Alabama, in the Wilcox County. These talented people made those wonderful, creative quilts out of things they didn’t need anymore.
Cheyanne H.

What I liked learning about quilting is how to make cool designs out of cloth. I also liked quilting because now I have a new skill. Quilting is sewing many pieces of cloth together forming a blanket called a quilt.
Dylan H.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

i loved doing this project it was so fun i cant wait untill the next year art new grade new school wow so much fun and education

Anonymous said...

this was the best project ive ever done it is really relaxing. jenelle h.

Jodi said...

Quilting is a really fun project!!! It is a nice way to relax but also have fun!! This is probably my favorite project I have ever done!!! Thankyou for teaching us this project!!!

Jodi K

Anonymous said...

I love doing this project because its very relaxing and calming.I never did this project before but now I like it.I'm gald we did this project cause its so fun to do. thankyou!!!

MyaM.

Anonymous said...

i love this project i cant wait to use it in real life. jenelle h.

Anonymous said...

This was so fun to do this it was the best thing we did so fun
olivia

mmharlow@att.net said...

This project is the most iterresting thing i've done in years.
thank you,
kinsey b