Thursday, April 16, 2009

Mrs. Cain's Class

















Two of the many things I liked about quilting were, one: it was fun and easy, two: I’m not sure why, but it calmed me down. Quilting was probably one of my favorite things I ever did in art. Quilting is a sewing method either done by hand, a sewing machine or long-arm sewing system. You use a needle and thread to connect 2 pieces together. I think quilting was very fun!
Jillian B.

One thing that comes in the big package of quilting is the freedom that comes along with it. For example you might start out in the beginning with a certain design and by the end it might transform into something different. I also agree with Jillian, quilting is fun and relaxing! The definition of quilting is sewing layers of cloth together but, in my opinion when you sew all the layers together you also sew in love and happiness.
-Brooke B.

The thing I liked most about learning how to sew is doing the running stitch. It was very easy to do and it looked cool on the quilt. I liked quilting because the finished product looked like it was done by a pro. Quilting is sewing 2 or 3 layers of cloth together.
-Thomas L.

Gee’s Bend is a small rural community nestled into a curve in the Alabama River southwest of Selma, Alabama. Their quilting styles are usually a unique pattern of random cloth and left over scraps. The town’s women developed a distinctive, bold, quilting style based on traditional American quilts, but sometimes it ended up as modern art. The women of Gee’s Bend passed their skills down through at least six generations to the present.
~Genevieve W.

I liked quilting because it was a fun, soothing, experience full project where we got to learn how life was like years ago in Gee’s Bend. I believe that quilting is when you have two or more layers of fabric that you sew together.
Christian F.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is a cool project.

Greg K. said...

I love quilting because you can never have sewn before, and you'll begin to love it before you finish sewing the first two pieces together!

Anonymous said...

we think this project is very interesting. also we like the history behind the quilting!!
sincerely,Blake p and Marshall a

Brooke B. said...

Jillian I agree with you, quilting is fun and relaxing! I think this was one of the most fun things we ever did in art! I hope more 5th graders get to do this project in years to come!

Claire C. said...

Quilting is somthing that has been around for hundreds of years, and it is a peice of art that is calm and relaxing. - Claire C.

Greg K. said...

I love quilting because you won't know anything about it, and you'll love it before you finish the first piece.

Thomas said...

I think this project was cool even though I have never sewn before. Some times I had to take my whole thing apart but it was still very fun and interesting.

Anonymous said...

I think that art can be more then fun, we also learned from it. Art time is fun time to me, and I want to stay at southeast and keep learning from the same wonderful teacher. I'll carry this on to middle school, rock on Southeast
-McKenzie F.

Brooke said...

Thank you for teaching us how to do this. It is a wonderful life skill and this project is probebly one of the most fun and interesting things that we have done in art. It is so amazing that we could make such beautiful items with very little experience. I loved doing this project!!!

Logan Williams said...

It was a fun project and we learn how to sew stuff together.

Logan Williams said...

Logan said I had fun doing this project and we learned how to sew.

Logan W. said...

It was very fun to teach us how to quilt, and do other sewing stuf together.