Thursday, April 16, 2009

Mrs. Kincaid's Class




















I learned that quilting can be fun even for boys. It was hard at some points, but I got through it. You can express your feelings and just have fun. So I’m happy that I learned how to quilt.
Austin W.

I like knowing how to sew because its fun to sew. Quilting is cool because I have a bunch of quilts at my house that my mom made when I was a little baby.
Addison M.

The Mande people are a large ethnic group of West Africa. They are found in Gambia, Guinea, Guinea- Bissau, Senegal, Mali and a couple other places. They are known for being the first on the continent to produce woven textiles by a process known as stripweaving, and as the founders of the Ghana Empire and Mali Empire.
Kathryn H.

Quilting is sewing that involves your hands or a machine. This process involves a needle and thread in which the needle goes through the material which makes a quilt. I like when you had to put the thread into the needle the first time.
Nick H.

I love to sew and quilt in art class because through quilting you can express your feelings in your stylistic choices. I think that it is so cool that we can learn to quilt in art because it is something we can actually use in real life.
Sarah C.

What I liked about learning to quilt was the fact that the poor people of Gee's Bend made these quilts to keep warm or to just have fun, and well, these quilts ended up changing these peoples life’s… well that hadn’t been expected. Not expected at all. Quilting is using your head to think of a wonderful blanket. Then sewing cloth together to make the blanket.
Samantha S.

My favorite part about sewing and quilting is having to make up your own designs, and using your own ideas and colors.
Josh S.

Quilting is a thing that the slaves used to do to sew blankets together for warmth. I liked learning how to use a needle.
Anthony P.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love quilting it is so much fun!!!!!

Anonymous said...

GORGEOUS!! i love the quilting and the colors are so vibrant:) mrs.h

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful interdisciplinary lesson! Unfortunately, quilting seems to be a lost art. It is encouraging to see the students learning this art and recognizing the creativity, skill, and history that surrounds it. Thanks for sharing what you learned.

I love the feel of fabric, too, Jodi! I also agree with Jillian that quilting is a very calming activity.

Keep up the good work, Mrs. Guetschow and all of the 5th grade classes. What you did is outstanding!
Mrs. Hoekstra

Amanda said...

Wow, another blog! This one is really nice too! Great job! -Amanda